For many people, incontinence is an embarrassing problem that they’d just like to forget. As a result, it becomes easy to try to ignore incontinence symptoms and to make excuses rather than seeking simple treatments that can help to resolve those symptoms. Here are a few of the most common excuses women and men use to avoid seeking treatment for their symptoms. See if any of them sound familiar:
- Incontinence is a normal part of aging: This is probably the biggest misconception and the one that can be most difficult to overcome. Incontinence may be more common as we age, but it is not a “normal” occurrence.
- Incontinence is a normal occurrence following childbirth: Likewise, many women mistakenly believe having “a little” urinary incontinence – maybe when sneezing or laughing – is part and parcel of having a child.
- I just can’t handle dealing with it right now: When it comes to treating incontinence issues, there’s no better time than right now. There are lots of causes of incontinence, and the sooner you have your condition evaluated, the easier it will be to treat.
- Incontinence is something you just have to live with: Most women are familiar with using pads, so using a pad for incontinence is often a first step – and one that can wind up delaying treatment indefinitely while symptoms become worse.
- The treatments are worse than the condition itself: In fact, treatments for both urinary and bowel incontinence are simpler and more straightforward than ever. Most patients experience improvement in symptoms with a plan of action designed specifically for their needs, including exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor, medication and behavior changes. When conservative approaches are enough, state-of-the-art surgical techniques are safe and effective.
The fact is, the human body is highly resilient, and when evaluated by a professional who specializes in incontinence, you can reduce or even resolve your symptoms and lead a more comfortable, more confident life. If you’re experiencing symptoms of bladder or bowel incontinence, give us a call at 1-800-771-1953 and schedule an evaluation today.